Ralph and Mary Otis Isham Distinguished Service Professor
Emeritus, Departments of Statistics, Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences,
Medicine, and the College
- "Timing of the distribution of events between observations. A contribution
to the theory of follow-up studies" (with T. E. Harris and J. W. Tukey), Human
Biology, 22: 249–270, (1950).
- "Tuberculosis among Diabetics (with others), Amer. Rev. of
Tuberculosis, 65: 1–50, (1952).
- "Effects of simultaneous skin tests on size of tuberculin reactions" (with
others), Amer. Rev. of Tuberculosis, 65: 201–205,
- "Variance of a weighted man," Biometrics, 9:
- "On the theory of the indicator-dilution method for measurement
of blood flow and volume" (with K. L. Zierler), J. Appl. Physiology,
6: 731-744, (1954).
- "Analysis of simple lattice designs with unequal sets of replications," J.
Amer. Statist. Assoc., 49: 786–813, (1954).
- "Note on estimation in a Markov process with constant transition
rates," Human Biology, 27: 121–124,
- "Vitamin B12 serum concentration in 528 apparently healthy human
subjects of ages 12–94" (with others), J. Gerontology, 12:
- "Analysis of a bubble method for estimation of PC02 and PC2 in
whole blood" (with R. H. Shepard), J. Appl. Physiology, 11:
- "Safety testing of a poliomyelitis vaccine," Science, 125:
- "Absorption of vitamin B12 enhanced by D-sorbitol" (with
others), Amer. J. Clin. Nutrition, 6: 30–33,
- "Reconsideration of methodology in studies of pain relief" (with
others), Biometrics, 14: 330–342, (1958),
- "Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations" (with
E. L. Kaplan), J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 53: 457–481,
- "Variability of critical flicker fusion thresholds in brain-injured
children" (with others), A.M.A. Arch. Neural. Psychol., 80:
- "Appendix A of Secret Detention by the Chicago Police (with W. H.
Kruskal) Glencoe: The Free Press, 35–41, (1959).
- "Further consideration of methodology in studies of pain relief" (with
S. M. Free), Biometrics, 17: 576–583, (1961).
- "Fluorospectrophotometric analysis of cervical epithelial cells" (with
G. L. Wied, A. M. Messina, and R. R. Blough), Acta Cytologica, 8:
- "An electronic data processing program for cytologic screening
projects for uterine carcinoma" (with G. L. Wied and L. M. Clark), Acta
Cytologica, 8: 385–397, (1964).
- "Fluorospectrophotometric analyses of endometrial and endocervical
epithelial cells" (with G. L. Wied, A. M. Messina, J. I. Manglano,
and R. R. Blough), Acta Cytologica, 8: 408–415,
- "DNA-assessments on fuelgen stained endometrial cells and comparison
with fluorometric values" (with G. L. Wied, A. M. Messina, and E.
Rosenthal), J. Lab. Investigation, 14: 1494–1499, (1965).
- "Statistical evaluation of the effect of hormonal contraceptives
on the cytological smear pattern" (with G. L. Wied, M. E. Davis, R.
Frank, P. B. Segal, and E. Rosenthal), Obstet. and Gynecol., 27:
- "Analysis of morbidity and mortality of children irradiated in
fetal life" (with M. L. Griem and G. D. Dobben), Radiology, 88:
- "Analysis of morbidity and mortality in children irradiated in
fetal life" (with M. L. Griem, G. D. Dobben and D. J. Mewissen), Radiation
Biology ojthe Fetal and Juvenile Mammal, AEC Symposium Series, 17:651–660,
- "Mass field trial of the diet-heart question" (with members
of the Diet-Heart Review Panel of the National Heart Institute), American
Heart Association Monograph, 28: 1–51, (1969).
- On Use of Oral Contraceptives, before the Subcommittee on Monopoly (Nelson
Committee), Senate Select Committee on Small Business, (24 February 1970).
- "Hazards in oral contraception: the case for further tests," Midway,
- "The biggest public health experiment ever: The 1954 field trial
of the Salk poliomyelitis vaccine," in Statistics A Guide to the
Unknown, F. Mosteller et al., eds. Holden-Day, 2–13, (1972).
- "Air pollution and pulmonary cancer" (with B. Carnow), Arch.
Environ. Health, 27: 207–218, (1973).
- "Effects of low-dose prenatal irradiation in humans: Analysis of
Chicago Lying-In data and comparison with other studies" with B. E.
Oppenheim and M. L. Griem), Radiation Research, 57:
- "Report of the Committee for the Assessment of Biometric Aspects
of Controlled Trials of Hypoglycemic Agents" (with U. P. Gilbert,
C. L. Rumke, R. Saracci, M. Zelen, and C. White, Chmn.), J. Amer. Med.
Assoc., 231: 583–608, (1975).
- "Ascorbic acid and the common cold" (with M. H. M. Dykes), J.
Amer. Med. Assoc. 231: 1073–1079, (1975).
- "The effects of diagnostic X-ray exposure on the human fetus: An
examination of the evidence" (with B. E. Oppenheim and M. L. Griem), Radiology, 114:
- "Statistics and medical experimentation," Biometrics, 31:
- "Estimation of a distribution function from incomplete observations," Perspectives
in Probability and Statistics (Papers in Honour of M. S. Bartlett) (1975).
- "Antigen expression of mouse spleen X thymocyte heterokaryons" (with
D. C. Allison, M. Majeune, and E. P. Cohen), Cell, 6:
- "Results of treatments of mammary cancer at the University of Chicago,
1960–1969" (with D. Ferguson), Surg. Clin. N. Amer., 56: 103–109,
- "Life-tables analysis and regression techniques: A priori and a
posteriori subgroups formation," Essals controls rnulticentres, INSERM, 76: 171–177,
- "Therapeutic and preventive trials and community medicine," in Hypertension:
Determinants, Complications, and Intervention, G. Onesti and C. R.
Klimt, eds., Grune & Stratton, Inc., 437–442, (1979).
- "Terminating a trial—the ethical problem," Clin.
Pharm. Therap., 25: 633–640, (1979).
- "Benjamin Peirce and the Howland Will" (with S. Zabell), J.
Amer. Statist. Assoc., 75: 497–506, (1980).
- "Persantine-Aspirin Reinfarction Study: Design, Methods, and Baseline
Results" (Persantine-Aspirin Reinfarction Study Research Group), Circulation,
(Part II) 62, No.3, (AHA Monograph No. 71) (1980).
- "Proceedings of the workshop on platelet-active drugs in the secondary
prevention of cardiovascular events" (Participant). E. Braunwald,
et al., eds., Circulation, (Part II) 62, No. 6
(ASA Monograph No. 74), (1980).
- "Estrogen replacement therapy" (with R. L. Landau), Editorial J.
Amer. Med. Assoc., 243: 1658, (1980).
- "Competitive effects of verapamil and calcium ion as regulators
of myocardial enzyme leakage" (with L. Cohen, Z. Gilula, B. Lazaron,
and D. Herbstman), J. Cardiovasc. Pharm., 3:
- "Stratification in the design of a clinical trial ," Contr.
Clin Trials, 1: 355–361, (1981).
- "Jerome Cornfield and the methodology of clinical trials," Contr.
Clin. Trials, 1: (339-345), (1981).
- "Statistical analysis of clinical trials," in Clinical
Trials: Issues and Approaches, S. Shapiro and T. Louis, eds., John
Wiley: New York. Chapter 7 (1981).
- "Current research in statistical methodology for clinical trials," Biometrics, 38:
- "Vitamins to prevent neural tube defects," letter in The
Lancet, 859, (1982).
- "Comment on estimating historical heights," J. Amer. Statist.
Assoc., Applications Section, 77, No. 378: 296–297,
- "A statistical analysis of the loss of muscle strength in Duchenne's
muscular dystrophy" (with L. Cohen, J. Morgan, R. Babbs, Z. Gilula, and
T. Karrison), Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, 37,
No. 1, 123–138 (July 1982).
- "Staging of breast cancer and survival rates: an assessment based
on 50 years of experience with radical mastectomy" (with D. J. Ferguson,
T. Karrison, P. J. Dawson, F. H. Straus, and F. E. Lowenstein), Journal
of the American Medical Association, 248: 1337–1341,
- "William G. Cochran and Public Health," in W. G. Cochran's
Impact on Statistics, Poduri, S. R. S. Rao, Sedransk, Joseph, ed., 73–81, John
Wiley: New York (1984).
- "Commentary," in Statistics in Medicine, 3:
473–475, John Wiley: New York (1984).
- "What happened in Hazelwood: Statistics, Employment Discrimination,
and the 80% Rule (with J. Sacks, and S. L. Zabell), American Bar Foundation
Research Journal, (1984, Winter), 139–186.
- "Anatomy and interpretation of the Cox Regression Model," Jour.
A.S.A.l.O., 8, 1, (January/March 1985) 3–12.
- "A controlled trial of extended radical mastectomy" (with
D. J. Ferguson, and T. Karrison), Cancer, 55:
- "Damned liars and expert witnesses, J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 81,
394: 269–276, (1986).
- "Scientific and ethical foundations of medical innovations," chapter
in Medical Innovations and Bad Outcomes, Siegler, M., S. Toulmin,
F. Zimring, eds. University of Michigan/Health Administration Press, Ann
Arbor, Michigan, (1986).
- "The probability of reversal in contested elections" (with
Dennis C. Gilliland), in Statistics and the Law, M. DeGroot, S.
Fienberg, J. Kadane, eds. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., (1986).
- "Persantine-aspirin reinfarction study. Part II secondary coronary
prevention with persantine and aspirin" (with C. R. Klimt, G. L. Knatterud,
J. Stamler, FACC), J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 7:
- Discussion of papers on control of bias in meta-analysis (Chalmers et
al.) in NHLBI workshop "Methodologic Issues in Overview of Randomized
Clinical Trials." Statistics in Medicine, 6:
- T"Low 06-alkylguanine DNA alkyltransferase activity in the peripheral
blood lymphocytes of patients with therapy-related acute nonlymphocytic
(with D. Sagher, T. Kanison, 1.L., Schwartz, R. Larson and B. Strauss), Cancer
Research, 48: 3084–3089, (1988).
- "Randomized trial of intravenous streptokinase, oral aspirin, both,
or neither among 17,187 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction:
ISIS-2, ISIS-2 Collaborative Group)," The Lancet, 13:
- "Rating intervals: an experiment in peer review" (with J. G.
Green, F. Calhoun, L. Nierzwicki, and J. Brackett), News, 3:
- "Choosing covariates in the analysis of clinical trials" (with
M. L. Beach), Contr. Clin. Trials, 10: 161S–175S,
- "Polio trial: An early efficient clinical trial," Statistics
in Medicine, 9: 13–16, (1990).
- Review of "Deadly deceit: Low-level radiation, high-level cover-up," by
Jay M. Gould and Benjamin A. Goldman. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 46,
No.7: 40–41, (1990).
- "Phenotypes and functions of lymphocytes in congenital toxoplasmosis," by
Rima McLeod, Douglas G. Mack, Kenneth Boyer, Marilyn Mets, Nancy Roizen,
Charles Swisher, Dushyant Patel, Enrique Beckmann, Dolores Vitullo, Daniel
Johnson, and Paul Meier. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 623–635, (1990).
- "The experimental evaluation of relative risk," Chance, 3,
No. 4: 28–32, (1990).
- McGee, T. Wolters, C., Stein, L., Kraus, N., D., Johnson, Boyer, K., Mets, M., Roizen, N., Beckman, J., Meier, P., Swisher, C., Holfels, E., Withers, S., and McLeod, R. "Absence of sensorineural hearing loss in treated infants and children with congenital toxoplasmosis." Otolaryngol. Head and Neck Surg, 106: 75, (1992).
- McAuley, J., Boyer, K., Patel, D, Mets, M., Swisher C., Roizen, N.,
Wolters, C., Roizen, N., Wolters C., Stein, L., Stein, M., Schey W., Remington,
J., Meier, P., Johnson, D., Heydeman, P., Holfels, E., Withers, S., Mack,
D., Brown, C., Patton, D., and McLeod, R. "Early and longitudinal
evaluations of treated infants and children and untreated historical patients
with congenital toxoplasmosis: The Chicago Collaborative Treatment
Trial." Clinical Infectious Diseases, 18: 38–72,
- Patel, D., Boyer, K., Vogel, N., Roizen, N., Mets, M., Swisher, C.,
Stein, L., Stein, M., Schey, W., Remington, J., Meier, P., Heydeman, P.,
Hopkins, J., Holfels, E., Withers, S., Mack, D., Brown, C., Patton, D.,
and McLeod, R. "Resolution of intracerebral calcifications in children with
treated congenital toxoplasmosis." Pediatr. Res, (1994).
- Patel, D., Boyer, K., Vogel, N., Roizen, N., Mets, M., Swisher, C., Stein, L., Stein, M., Schey, W., Remington, J. S., Meier, P., Heydeman, P., Hopkins, J., Holfels, E., Withers, S., Mack, D., Brown, C., Patton, D., and McLeod, R. "Resolution of intracerebral calcifications in children with treated congenital toxoplasmosis." Developmental Pediatrics Meeting, (1994).
- Roizen, N., Swisher, C., Boyer, K., Patel, D., Stein, M., Schey, W., Meier, P., Mets, M., Remington, J. S., and McLeod, R. "Developmental and neurologic outcome in treated congenital toxoplasmosis." Pediatrics, 95: 11–20, (1995).
- Comment on "Compliance as an Explanatory Variable in Clinical Trials," by
Efron and Feldman. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 86,
413: 19–21, (1995).
- Mets, M. B., Holfels, E., Boyer, K., Swisher, C., Roizen, N., Stein, L., Stein, M., Hopkins, J., Withers, S., Mack, D., Luciano, R., Patel, D., Remington, J. S., Meier, P., and McLeod, R. "Eye manifestations of congenital toxoplasmosis." The American Journal of Ophthalmology, 122: 309–324, (1996).
- Patel, D. V., Holfels, E. M., Vogel, N. P., Boyer, K. M., Mets, M. B., Swisher, C. N., Roizen, N. J. M., Stein, L. K., Stein, M. A., Hopkins, J., Withers, S. E., Mack, D. G., Luciano, R. A., Meier, P., Remington, J. S., McLeod , R. L. "Resolution of intracranial calcifications in infants with treated congenital toxoplasmosis." Radiology, 433–440, (1996).
- Gershon, A., LaRussa, P., Steinberg, S.; Mervish, N., Lo, Shaw–Hwa, and Meier, P. "The protective effect immunologic boosting against zoster: An analysis in Leukemic children who are vaccinated against chickenpox." The Journal of lnfectious Diseases, 173: 450–453, (1996).
- Karrison, T. G., Ferguson, D. J. and Meier, P. "Dormancy of mammary carcinoma after mastectomy." Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 91: 80–85, (1999).
- Rose, Eric A., Moskowitz, Alan J., Packer, Milton, Sollano, Josephine A., Williams, Deborah L., Tierney, Anita R., Heitjan, Daniel F., Meier, Paul, Ascheim, Deborah Davis, Levitan, Ronald G., Weinberg, Alan D., Stevenson, Lynn Warner, Shapiro, Peter A., Lazar, Ronald M., Watson, John, Goldstein, Daniel, and Gelijns, Annetine C. for REMATCH investigators. "The REMATCH Trial: Rational, design and endpoints." Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 67: 723–730, (1999).
- McLeod R., Boyer, K., Roizen, N., Stein L., Swisher, C., Holfels, E., Hopkins, J., Mack, D., Karrison, T., Patel D., Pfiffner, L., Remington. J. S, Withers, S., Meyers, S., Mets, M., Rabiah, P., and Meier, P. "The child with congenital toxoplasmosis." Current Topics in Clinical Infectious Diseases. Invited. Remington, J. S. and Swartz, M. (eds). In press, (1999).
- Myhre, J., McAuley, J., Johnson, V., Meier, P., Brown, C., Mack, D., Eisenhauer, P, Holfels, E., Remington, J. S., McLeod, R. Seroprevalence of T. gondii infection in Chicago women of child bearing age. Submitted Amer. J. Epidemiol., (1999).